Saturday 13 May 2017

038 - Busselton (4/5/17)

One of the reasons we chose Busselton in this region was its proximity to places like Margaret River and the two “Capes”. We figured we’d lay anchor here and just day trip it out to places sans Gecko.

Today we set off to the Northern cape, Cape Naturaliste and its lighthouse as the morning’s attraction. Hmm… only one word for it. Underwhelming. Even the kids were struggling to get involved and excited by it. The biggest talking point was when we used me as a “scale model” (as opposed to male model which I’m far more accustomed to…) to try and estimate the height of the lighthouse. Strangely enough James won (spot on with 20m) and but the others were within a couple of metres too.

Hmm... how tall are you Dad?

So James wanted in on the action...

...and nothing like a loving mother to get down into the road to help her little man out.


Following the light house, we decided to talk a stroll around the Cape itself in an attempt to perhaps catch a decent view or, umm… something. For the most part, that was not forthcoming either with the exception of one small detour Evie and I did. Only her and I took off to see the whale watching deck (not looking for whales; they aren’t due for a few more weeks) but more just to check out a viewpoint. It was quite spectacular actually, and we discussed what it must be like to see whales pass like trucks on a freeway. The others kept on walking and we played catch up, discussing all manor of things, but most notably our favourite Roald Dahl novels. Whilst she ages me instantly with every pout, sulk and whine, she also inspires, entertains and downright makes me laugh moments later. I do love my “Moo-time”.

Well worth the effort (a solid 900m detour) to capture. The Whale Highway Evie and I called it.

Fast tracking off the Cape, we headed for some wineries as I promised to tour B around a few so she could stock the cupboards. We snaffled a “kid-friendly wineries” list from the information desk the day before, so we were armed and ready to go.

First stop was one so-called “kid friendly” place.

Now, avid blog readers would know that we (i.e. B) packs “the magic blue bag” pretty much every day with supplies for an impromptu picnic. It helps keep the spending in check as well as gives us an ability to stop for lunch at a drop of a hat. So, we thought why not head into a winery, picnic in hand, have the kids snack on the lawn whilst we tasted the wares? Perfect plan. Or so we thought.

This winery was quite clear that “no sorry, we don’t allow that”, with “that” referring to our picnic. And whilst I can see them not wanting to take business away from their kitchen, the place wasn’t heaving and they simply kissed the sale of a few bottles of shiraz goodbye in the process.

So we casually walked back out and jumped in the car, to find a beach access point nearby to pull up in. The kids weren’t letting us tease them with lunch for long and not providing… And although the weather did turn south a bit, the setting was far more impressive and sangas were had out the back of the Rock Truck.

Stuff your winery picnic...

From there, we called past a few more wineries, all looking as stuck up as the one before it. Even sent B in for a look on a couple of occasions to know avail. So, we set fire to the “kid friendly” list (metaphorically) and followed my cousin Bart’s advice for a winery to check out. He actually pointed out “it’s not particularly suited to kids, but there is something there the kids will enjoy”. Not sure if by kids he meant my kids, or me, but damn… was this my kind of winery. Apparently the owner of Aravina Estate (https://aravinaestate.com/) has a penchant for cars and wines… and cash. He must like cash as he would have to had plenty for this set up. An amazing venue, that despite the weather (which had turned REALLY south) looked amazing, but was supported by quite the impressive car collection. Nothing record breaking, but a room full of motoring memorabilia, cars, lounges and Top Gear on the flat screen, no one was minding how long B tasted wines for!

The collection is ever changing apparently, but I reckon today's collection was reasonable to say the least. The Monaro on the left was particularly impressive.

"Hey kids, come and check out the..."

"Ah stuff it... I'll join them"

But the wines were average apparently (or overpriced, one or the other) and soon we left.
After that, well, we kind of gave up on wineries. It seemed that it wasn’t really the kind of scene to drag kids around to. Or at least our kids.

So, off to Magaret River the township for a look as the rain continued to pour.

And pour it did. At times I felt lucky the Colorado has a snorkel.

There in town, we updated Moo’s shoes and updated my addiction to fudge from the Magaret River Fudge Factory… Damn… what a shop.

Back in the car and there was one more stop before heading home, and one I’d been angling for for some time…

Those who know me well, know there’s a reason my teeth are pretty shot. My love for Slurpee’s from 7-11 after each basketball game and passion for chocolate. Any chocolate. I’m not fussy. But when the chance to visit award winning Margaret River Chocolate Factory was there, well, as they say, wild horses…

"Just come and pick me up when you're ready to leave Busselton B..."

And what a place. I was like, well a fat kid in a candy shop. Not even really a cliché this time.
Veruca Salt at Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory… “I want, I want”

Just a few kinds of truffles...

See those bags on the wall? They are filled with different types of chocolate too...

Oh sweet baby Jesus...

B saw the writing on the wall, and quietly slipped away, across the road while I wasn’t looking, to a winery she spied leaving me with the kids to continued to be dazzled by the chocolaty goodness.
I shouted the kids an ice-cream from the freezer and bought myself a “Cookies and Cream” Hot Chocolate. Oh… wow… 

This is THE best hot chocolate I've ever had. Even the picture is better than most actual hot chocolates I've ever had.

"And this kids is where you should aspire to work. As long as the staff discount is transferable to all family members."

Too many clichés come to mind but the scene from the Simpsons where the machine constantly feeds Homer donuts in hell comes to mind…


Amazing.

B came back across the road to find me aimlessly walking around the store, indecisive about what to buy. It’s great chocolate, but it doesn’t come cheap. Pretty much like everything in the Margaret River region… Still, I got some buttons and some high quality choccy bullets and we all left pretty happy.
It’s a beautiful spot and region Margaret River, but today made me realise something, which I mentioned to Bart in a text.

I think I’m either 10yrs too late, or 20yrs too early for this place.

I think to fully appreciate it and its wares, I might need some baby sitters.


2 comments: