Tuesday 2 May 2017

029 - Lucky Bay to Esperance (25/4/17)

Today we woke to ANZAC Day. I’d love to say we got up to attend a Dawn Service, but alas, it wasn’t so. I actually thought a few nomads might have organised something as I’ve heard that’s the case in other parks, but not this time.

Still, once we got into Esperance town centre, B and the kids attended the parade and paid their dues during the towns official parade. It would have to wait until I attended the ANZAC Museum in Albany later in the week until I quietly paid my respects.

So sadly, we had to bid adieu to Lucky Bay. I had wisely packed up most of the outside gear the night before and for a moment there, it almost looked like we might hook up and leave before Joe and Teresa, who were also shifting on today. But nope, they pipped us by around 25min I think…

I had been (self)invited to join Joe and Teresa at the Pink Lake Golf Club and join their team in a 4 man Ambrose comp. They had played there earlier in the week and had been invited back with the promise of parking their van in the carpark so they could fully enjoy the day. I basically invited our van into the carpark as well, and before long both vans were parked in the carpark before we suited up to have a hit.

Before this, I was able to give the van a well overdue wash. I think I counted 4 different colours of dirt coming off it at one stage! It was nice and sparkly (relatively speaking) when I rolled out of the wash bay. The Rock Truck I’m sure did “humph” saying “what about me?” as she still sports nearly 5 weeks of grime and finger prints on the duco. Somehow though, dirt makes a 4WD looks rugged and well travelled. On a van like ours, clearly not an off-road van, it just makes it look a tad neglected. Still, I’m sure the Colorado will get her turn soon.

At long last at bath for the Lizard. Apparently our van is white. Who knew?

As mentioned, whilst I was off swanning around the picturesque and fun Pink Lady GC, B and the kids attended the ANZAC Day parade, before exploring the waterfront some more, slobbing down some ice creams before dropping the handlines in the water and trying to catch me in the “fish caught” count. All but B managed to catch me by one apparently.

Benefits of being small... the ability to wangle your way to the front.

Small gauge railway play...

Why does this pic remind me of the TV show "Round the Twist??"

Back at the course, I thoroughly enjoyed my round with Joe and Teresa, and we were joined by Alan from the course. He proved to be a very good course guide, instructing us where to hit the ball over the blind doglegs and crests. Whether or not we actually we did is another thing, but our intentions were pretty good. Considering I was sharing Joe’s clubs, playing in runners and hadn’t played in months, I was pretty happy how I hit the ball. I don’t think I embarrassed myself as the low marker in the group at any rate. We teamed up well and finished with 5 under, particularly after rolling in a bogey on the 1st (a 520m par 5 playing into the wind), and I believe shot the equal lowest score off the stick of any team. Alas, shafted by Ambrose handicaps, we ran 4th on the day to some bushrangers who rolled in with their unofficial handicaps.
"So we can park anywhere can we mate??"

A great track and highly recommended.

Still, sitting in the clubhouse afterwards having a few drinks, I was gobsmacked how welcoming the club was, with most members coming over for a quick chat or a “hi” to the visitors as we enjoyed the platters and such. Not bad value for $20! Still we put a bit over the bar knowing our vans were sitting in the carpark!

And then, when I thought we might need to leave to meet B with the fish and chips, we were told to “just let them park up near the door. Shorter walk”. So we brought self serve fish and chips into the clubhouse and shared it with what members remained. Was really great hospitality.

To finish off, we had a couple of drinks at the bar with Ken the barman whilst the kids got some putting tips from Teresa on the floor of the clubrooms!

Certainly better to get tips from Teresa than the Old Man I can assure you.

Any golfing mates reading this who might pass through this area will be hard pressed to find a more accommodating and welcoming club. Joe and I did talk to a few of the club seniors about the merit in formalising a “park and play” style agreement for nomads and other vanners alike, and I think there’s an opportunity there for most smaller clubs. We certainly kicked in our share over the bar to replace the free accommodation.

Never thought I’d find ourselves staying in a golf course carpark on this trip, but it’d be great if it isn’t the last!!

2 comments:

  1. So you actually stayed overnight at the course? Not surprising that you and Joe were able to talk yourselves into this deal! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... The Big Green Lizard and Super Trooper snuggled in the carpark, keeping warm. And it was all Joe. I just rode on his coat tails.

      Delete