Sunday 3 September 2017

Ponderings Part 2


As I was sitting here tonight, I was feeling reflective. I looked back on the a couple of blog posts and notice that the last 'Ponderings' post was also made from an overnight roadside stopover. Perhaps the remoteness of them and the lack of external 'stimulation' creates a moment of peace in our trip that encourages a mindset...

A month on from being outside of the Bungles, we now are quite a significant chunk around the country and find ourselves parked just outside Wartarka, more commonly known as Kings Canyon. From one style of red dust to another. The trucks remain similar though...

Looking back, I found a something I wrote that has got me thinking....

We’re looking at seeing how such an adventure and experience will affect us. Perspective. Focus. Clarity. Inspiration. Appreciation. Wonderment. Seafood. All things we’re hoping to get out of the trip in spades.

I started to think, how are we travelling on this quest of 'enlightenment' I referred to before we had even rolled out of Bacchus Marsh. Whilst I can't speak for the others (although I might ask them) I can at least put my thoughts down.

Perspective

To say I've got a good handle on perspective would be an understatement. We've passed through many towns, seen many cultures, social demographics and economies. I've read countless stories of sacrifice and hardship, seen memorials to dedicated people who shaped the very country we're exploring. I've tried to see their moments, understand their choices and emphathise with their possible emotions. But how could I possibly understand the emotions of being shipped out of Albany to head off to war? Where can I possibly relate to driving cattle across the country in search of a better life for my family? Who am I to pretend to understand how it would feel to have the very land I live on 'taken' by others and then have to justify my fight to get it back?

Quite simply I can't.

But I certainly have a renewed perspective on the quality of life that my family has, and an appreciation of those who have come before me in so many shapes and forms in providing such an opportunity.

Perspective comes to our troupe every day in many different guises.

Focus

Hmm... not sure where to go with this one, ironically. Focus on what? Career? Lifestyle? Location? Who knows... I think it would be safe to say that we are comfortably ambling our way around the country with little commitment or plan. We often change dates and plans on a whim, depending on the mood or oppurtunity.

I think it's safe to say we're without focus at the moment. I think that'll be fine... for now.

Clarity

Clarity has come in many shapes and forms however.

This trip has made it clear to me how little we REALLY need, from a materialistic perspective. We've come to realise that, as suspected, we don't really need a big house with the trimmings. As we now think ahead to where we'll pull up stumps back in the Marsh, the types of houses we are looking at are considerably smaller than what we had previously. We hope to remove the dark shadow of mortgage as soon as possible from our lives to free up the future to as many possilities as early as possible.

This trip has made it clear to me how much we love to travel. Either locally, nationally or abroad I don't think it matters. There's something stimulating and enriching (at least for us) about travelling. Travelling, it is clear, is something we will always do and aspire for.

This trip has made it clear to me that my mantra of 'work to live, not live to work' holds very true. I'm most of us would aspire to have an awesome job that we bound out of bed every morning for. A job that makes a difference to ourselves and those around us. Hell, I'm sure we'd all love to change the world for the better. But that isn't always the case. Location, salary, budget, quality of life, dependancies. They all need to be factored in. For me it has become clear that if I can enjoy it most of the time, it doesn't cause undue stress and provides for the family in the required means to live how we want, then I'm pretty cool with it.

Inspiration

Inspiration could easily come from the examples of perspective I mentioned earlier. Every single story I read of peoples' endeavours historically never cease to inspire a personal desire or thought. But I think I'll go a little closer to home for this one.

My wife inspires me, each and every day. Her love and dedication toward her children simply doesn't falter, no matter how they badger and pester her. And on this trip, there is no escape. They are always around! As I find it difficult at times to remain positive and upbeat, to me she seems to let a lot of the frustrations wash over her. She inspires me to continue to grow as a person, not to sweat the small things and find the good in as many situations as possible.

Appreciation

This goes without saying I appreciate pretty much everything in life even more so. From the importance of communication with family and friends, good health and, almost most importantly, the proximity of a good shower...

Whilst I've remained staunch on my original position that B and I aren't "lucky" to be on this trip, I certainly can appreciate the oppurtunity to allow us to align the planets and make it happen. Many aren't lucky enough to even contemplate the oppurtunity. We've met so many different people with many tales to tell, but all of us agree that we are definitely strongly entreched on the "good" side of life's ledger.

I certainly appreciate that position.

Wonderment

If I had a dollar for every time I've felt wonderment on this trip, I don't think we'd ever have to stop travelling. More times than not it is at the astonishing natural beauty of this spectacular country we live in. There isn't a colour of the spectrum we are yet to see in natural landscape that wouldn't make a great piece of wall art. I'm so thankful for the age of digital photography where we can snap away to ensure that most moments are at least etched in electronic code for ever!

To think the Eastern states haven't even waded into the discussion is mind boggling and slightly daunting. Already the discussions of "favourite beach" or "favourite campsite" or "favourite walk" are met with sighs, groans and head scratching. And we are simply scratching the surface.

The natural beauty of Australia is something we should all be proud of, and fiercely support to protect.

I'll also throw in a nod to my kids here... Whilst I'm sure at times they're a little blase about things I think they should appreciate more, their commitment to continue exploring and adventuring is brilliant to see. Every now and then they'll pipe up individually about a small anecdote or fact they learnt earlier on in the trip and you see the indirect learning and growing they are being exposed to.
I also love the wonderment the get from things completely different to me. They can often remember the small things that we adults might often neglect or oversee. I've come to learn that what I find amazing might not be what the find amazing. And it's important to ask them to ensure the remain engaged.

Seafood

Three fish (so far) will be my lasting memory of seafood on this trip. The flathead at September Beach; the bronze whaler off 80 Mile Beach and the Spanish Mackerel off Broome. Do you need to see the pics again? OK... here they are... :)





And whilst there might not have been as much as first hoped, we'll try and remedy that on the East Coast. Hell, even B has said I need to go on another charter to stock the freezer. Who am I to argue?

.....

So, as I reflect here, in my roadside stop, I feel the trip is providing us with all the things we hoped for and more. I still remain firmly convinced that this trip will be an experience that will forever be a moment in time that our family can recall on for perspective, focus, clarity, inspiration, appreciation and wonderment.

And Spanish Mackerel. It will forever be remembered for the Spanish Mack.

No comments:

Post a Comment