Friday 14 April 2017

014 - Fowlers Bay

A new week (I think it’s Monday isn’t it??) dawned on us, and it was a quick impromptu class for Sam and Evie whilst James and I went in search of all things related to ‘7’. This is fast becoming a bit of schoolwork norm with us, and I enjoy spending the one on one time with James. I get a rough outline of the things we should be doing and questions to be asking from Mrs White (who is also the teacher of the Grade 2 and 4 classes, and Principal of the School of Gecko) and away James and I go.
Following school, I left the kids with B and took off to the Jetty. No takers or little accomplices on this trip, as I assume the lure of hanging out with the other kids proved too great. It’s one thing to monitor actually, ensuring that we still allow them time to interact and play with other kids around their age. I think 7 to 11 appears to be the popular age, but James doesn’t seem phased. He just tags along where and when possible.

Still it afforded me a good couple of hours solo on the jetty to allow me to catch… sweet buggar all. Only pulling in one rubbish Trumper and that was when B and Sam joined me. Maybe Sam is my Talisman as well as he was around for most of my other fish as well. I suspect Pop might support this theory.


Still it was nice for some quiet time. No actually, it was great for some quiet time.

We left Sam on the jetty with Derick and Christine and B went off to make some lunch whilst I decided now was the time to fit the Stone Stomper onto the van and truck. Arriving a little too close to departure date (through no fault but my own) it’s been carried around on the roof of the car for the past 2 weeks just adding drag.

For those not in the know, the Stomper is simply a net that hangs between the car and the van, and stops stones and debris from flicking up and hitting the van, damaging it, or even worse, rebounding stones back onto the car. Unfortunately, our front lid has already borne the brunt of some stones from previous trips but we still want to protect it as much as possible. The road into Fowlers Bay included 12km of reasonable graded dirt road, so I was keen to fit it so I didn’t have to crawl along that stretch on the way out.

After finding the bracket a little narrow for the hitch on the back of the car, a little “persuasion” from some screwdrivers from Derick and some good old work from the universal spanner, it ‘slid’ on. As I parked the truck to measure and fit the net of the stomper, it caught the eye of some other Nomads who had just arrived. Now I had an audience…

Still, I think it went on reasonably well, but the true test will be tomorrow when we hitch up and head off. The front of the van connecting to the truck is now getting quite crowded and there’s fast becoming more time to set it all up. Still all of it’s important from either a safety or protection point of view.

The Stone Stomper fitted. Already has proven it's worth on the road out of Fowlers Bay as well as a couple of other side tracks. Great product.

Also managed to sort out a key organiser. Anyone who has owned a van knows of this frustration and picking this idea from online somewhere has proven to be a godsend. Great little addition for the princely sum of $3 from Cheap as Chips.

Following that it was a simple round of showers and domestic duties before we headed off to the campfire area to hopefully cook the baked potatoes we promised everyone (you can’t take spuds into WA, so having plenty, we decided we’d feed the hordes). Only issue was… no campfire had been started. Not. Happy. Jan.


After a bit lolling around, I took (fire) matters into my own hands, such is my want at times, and started it myself. I was a little worried it wouldn’t take, but eventually it came good and before long we had throngs of Nomads around going “geez, this is a nice fire”… My work here is done.
Another good little day, but like Ceduna, we’re ready to push on. It’s funny how some places hold your heart and mind, but others you simply go “OK, been here, done that”. 

I had earmarked a hollow log in the wood pile and told James that this would be our "party piece". Worked exactly how I'd hoped and flames were soon spitting out the top.

Derick and Christine showing James about "Twisties". Must admit, I'd never tried them before but a huge hit with the kids means they'll probably get done again. 

Gracie, Evie and Bailey. Anyone would have though that they'd known each other for years.

Port Lincoln was definitely a place we didn’t want to leave, but most others we’re keen to keep moving. I look forward to seeing how that develops over the trip and see how many places hold our hearts to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment