Wednesday 4 July 2018

Bathurst Intermission


Before I get onto the post about the experiences of the next place we went to, it would be remiss of me not to throw in a short post about Bathurst 2017 Version.

It was certainly different than all the other Bathursts that have come before it. For a start, I was travelling "down" to it. And for the first time ever, I wasn't hauling the trailer up there. Happy to deputise that role to Mark and Dave...

So for those interested, here is a quick photo recall of my time at the Mountain...

First of many differences, I was given a send off party! Flying out from Rockhampton early in the morning, Evie was happy to get up and travel with B to the airport to see me off.

After a nerve-wracking delay due to fog in Sydney, my first plane landed and I could get leg 1 underway. It was a tight schedule to go through and any delay was unwelcome. We took off and I nervously watched the time tick away. We landed in Brisbane where my connection to Sydney was on it's "final boarding call". Thankfully the gate had moved from one much further away to the door next to the plane I'd just got off!

So onto plane #2 and away we headed, Sydney bound. I was relieved when landing in Sydney to see my bag had also made the flight. Was worried the quick changeover might have caused issues but I doff my cap to the airport staff.

After a couple of hours kicking around the airport (deliberately done to ensure I had buffer in the timetable) my next connection pulled into the terminal. A very comfortable bus then took my through the Western Suburbs of Sydney (via the CBD) all the way out to Bathurst. Was quite the trek, but I've done my tour of duties on buses over the years, so no issues here. Dave met me at the Bathurst Information Centre and we trundled back around to camp where a (very) warm and familiar sight greeted me... the icon of Bathurst... the centrepiece of our camp... our mascot...

...the Tekno Barrel in full swing. It's a thing of beauty really.

For those not in the know, this is Base Camp, and the first time it's been seen without the Rock Truck or Canyonero there. The Iced Vovo and Nissan Courtesy vehicle did a fine job standing in though. Here we can see the Elder Statesman of the Clan just keeping time and ensuring all is good with the world.

For the most part, we had brilliant weather there. This is the paddock campground from up on the Chase Hill. It's extensive, impressive and wreaks of campfires and generators. Hanging out here is half the reason we come.

Here's the other half. Motorsport Mecca.

A different livery and a different race category for our Main Man Steve and his cars this year. But still super excited and super pumped to support him.

One of  the KBR beasts ready to roll.

On the track walk one night we were walking down main straight and they were showing the triumphant win by Tekno in the car Steve built. Obviously it doesn't come up in this shot, but Mark, Dad and I stayed and watched the culmination (probably for the millionth time) and cheered Will home. It still gives me goosebumps.

But despite the different approach to arriving, most of our traditions were met. A round of golf...

Our predetermined evening menu, including the amazing BMan Tekno Barrel Messy Chicken Wrap Extravaganza.

A new game was also established about trying to guess how long the barrel could burn through fence posts and sleepers. 

Bathurst Campground Pano

Main race day shifted for us to Saturday which brought with it a heap of differences too. Access to the car before the Big Race.

A invitation by Steve and the KBR team onto the grid prior to the race. Here I'm doing my bit for the merchandise stand promo shots.

The Kostecki's are usually the most well represented family on the grid at Bathurst I imagine... until now. To have all five boys and Dad there was pretty cool. I wish we'd got our sh!t together and actually took a photo. Maybe this year. Nod to the very committed Matt Giles looking rent-a-cop in this shot too.


Me. The Car. The Grid. Bathurst. Oh yeah. Never gets old.

And after a very good race (sorry, no pics during the race, to involved in cheering and drinking) my favourite part of the weekend came about. Steve made it up to the campground for an extended stay and a few drinks. Normally "on duty" during this time, he had the ability to spare some time and get amongst it with the ferals. And it was the biggest buzz having him there.

And his obligatory stogie with Mark...

Sunday Race Day was much more subdued and without the need to go and get up at crazy o'clock to get the best spot. But Dave and Tim still put in the yards and I did my usual part and threw together Race Day Tekno Barrel Bacon Sarnie Specials. The race itself was weird, the weather quite ordinary. But still, we loved it. We always do. 


Hopefully the vid works... It was a sodden ordinary day. But that made the cars cooler too as they wheel spun their way around the track. Nice cameo from the Big Man at the end too.

And on the Sunday night, when things had quietened down and the trucks started to roll out, I went for a quiet stroll around the lower part of the track. Even at night this place is cool.

There's just something about it.




2 comments:

  1. Love it. Love the effort you made in getting there. Loved the low key approach to what is an exciting event and pilgrimage for the 'boys'.... and the old man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easily worth every bit of effort to get there. I think I prefer being involved with the drive up but you do what you need to do. And really, in a year where you aren't working, not much excuse about "not having leave!"

      Delete