Wednesday 15 November 2017

143-150 Alice Springs (18/8-25/8)

So what to make of my return to Alice. How do I explain the weird unfamiliar emotions of coming back to a place that played such a strong role in your life and yet, you've never taken the time to actually revisit? How do you try and reconnect with a past you talk about to others about but now is more than half your life ago?

I've long thought about Alice; were my memories accurate? Had I, like some (read most) stories I tell, put a little bit of 'Hollywood licence' into my life in the Red Centre when speaking of it?

So yes, I was apprehensive in coming back. It was safer to simply leave them as memories, to fade and twist as I deemed fit, with few people to correct them back in to fact. But that apprehension was far far outweighed by the excitement to see the old town, and importantly, some old (time wise, not age wise) faces from the past. I could finally show the kids where I grew up, where my houses were, the school I went to. It sounds weird but I remember when Dad showed me his school in Wallasey in the UK when I was living over there. It opened up a part of his life that I knew about but never fully appreciated actually existed. There was a connection and memories for him to a life that I had never thought about. I was excited to be able to show this part of my life to B and the kids.

Rolling into town, things were different and yet, the same if that makes sense. Kind of like a remake of one of your favourite songs from 'way back in the day'. You know the words, so it's familiar but in another way, you feel out of touch.

As the song goes on, you remember more and soon enough your singing along to the tune you knew. So yes, a few shops had moved, a few had closed and the council had thrown a crap load more roundabouts in. But most of the main landmarks were where I'd left them, some with a lick of paint, but all returning to the part of the brain I use to 'knowing my way around'.

But my lasting memory of our visit to Alice won't be of the place itself. It is what it is. A town in the desert where you can get what you need, albeit with an element of 'remote town tax'. No, my memory of Alice will be the one thing that I've always loved most about it. 

The people.

There's something about the friendships you make with Alice people. There's something there that I can't quantify. Maybe an appreciation of being landed in the middle of the country surrounded by more sand than pretty much anywhere else. Maybe it's the dust. It engrains and gets into friendships as much as it does door trims, clothes and caravan interiors. But getting in touch with and meeting back up with a handful of school mates who still call The Alice home was worth a road trip 10 times what we've done.

Like catching up with Liz in Perth and Corinne in Darwin, catching up with friends in Alice was incredibly refreshing. It opened conversations long dormant ("so do you know exactly where so-and-so is?" and "did you really have a crush on") and as a whole provided me with renewed passion to keep in touch with those good friends in life.

So to see Phillipa, Louise, Hayley, Tim and Teesh was simply brilliant and I valued every minute we had whilst there talking about 'old times' and what the future might hold.

I should probably mention the McGuirks too as they too had returned home in prep for a hiatus from there trip and lent us the services of their laundry and golf membership whilst there!!

To throw in for good measure our visit there also coincided with my cousin Tracey and her great little family on their whirlwind trip up to Broome and back. It was lovely to see a familiar face and we were able to share a few sites and cans on their short stay. I loved their commitment to travelling in the camper trailer and B and I both agree that it's an option for us going forward to get to those less accessible places.

And the Butchers called in near the end of our stay too after finally departing Darwin. We were nearing the end of our concurrent paths and it was great to have the kids (and big kids) back together.

Overall, it was lovely to get back there and I wish I had done so earlier. But life does move on, and time waits for no one. I'll just take it as a bit of motivation to try and keep in touch a little bit more where and when I can.

So, at that, let's take a pictorial trip through our time in Alice.... 

A first in our time in the caravan world... we were assigned Site 001. Thankfully this site wasn't located right outside the front desk as the Big 4 in Alice is gigantic to say the least! But the site was big and caught the sun nicely. No complaints from us.

Not entirely sure where the shot of all of us went on the computer, but the McGuirks welcomed us to Alice on our first morning (we got there to early to check in!) and we caught up over coffee and hot chocolates from one of their favourite jaunts.

During our stay, we'd managed to coincide our visit with the 'internationally acclaimed' Henley-on-Todd Regatta. For those not in the know, this is a Rotary run day which engulfs most of the town and is primarily focussed around 'boat races' up and down the Todd River. Given there is no water (usually) in the river, this is a highly unusual and unique event.

In the 6 odd years I lived in Alice, I never attended the Regatta ("Pfftt... that's a tourist thing!") Well we were now tourists! A quick straw poll of the locals we caught up with highlighted that they too had never been to it either!

Awaiting the parade down the Todd Mall.

Here comes the Viking Ship!

The Navy Boat certainly looked impressive.

The Pirate Ship was equally grand, and given their penchant for throwing out loads of lollies, was an early clubhouse favourite from our three.

These massive SLR Touring Rigs paraded through and I must admit I was most taken by them. On a fundraising drive across the desert, I wanted to know how I could get on the crew!

Down to the Todd we went and, naturally thanks to the kids, we HAD to sit right near the fence (read most exposed to sun and sand!). But it meant close up view of the action!

Little did I know but the day also incoprated a whole range of activities, not just "sailing". This included a strange competition of "shovelling sand in a bucket".

Naturally our kids weren't shy in going forward if there was a competition on and Evie found herself in an 'egg-and-spoon' race. Not a competition I would relate our baby giraffe too, but like most things she applies herself to, she did very well and posted a 3rd out of a big crowd.

Sam on the other hand picked something I would never think he'd want to do. Shovelling sand into a bucket. But he wanted 'in' and here he is talking the MC in front of the entire crowd. For a kid that never wanted to talk to anyone, I think his self confidence has come on leaps and bounds.

Unfortunately for Sam, he was pitted against last years junior champ and whilst put in a good show never really stood a chance. Still, he did WAY better than I thought and I was just stoked to see him out there. Braver than I... I certainly didn't nominate!

It was a BIG crowd. Far bigger than I ever expected and really well supported. Lots of cheering and applauding, it was a very fun day.


Not sure where the shots of the big battle have gone, but I'll add them when I get back online with the PC. But this is a selfie of B and I taken through the haze of dust, flour and whatever else during the final battle. It was awesome.

Can you believe it... after a morning and lunch catching up with Tim, Louise and Phillipa, this was the only shot we took?!? If you squint I think were up the back BBQ cooking some of Tim's snags and eating some of Pip's weird purple bananas...

The Todd River, without all the flour bomb loaded boats. It is exactly how I remembered it... Which is unsurprising given it's been the same way for thousands of years...

Did I mention the Caravan Park had an excellent waterslide??

House #3 in Alice - De Havilland Drive

B thought it was hilarious that the Alice Cemetary had 'reserved' signs on plots. So much so, she made me stop and turn around so she could take a photo. It is a morbid concept I suppose...

A highlight for all was a trip to the School of The Air. It amazed us all the dedication and technology that went into teaching kids in remote areas of the countries. B was so enamoured by it she asked more questions than anyone else during the tour, putting her hand up like Hermoine Granger.

A highlight of the stay for me was having a hit with McGuirks on the course I cut my golfing teeth on, Alice Springs Golf Club. It's an amazing course considering it's in the middle of the desert and to walk the course with good mates made it even better.

Posing before 'smashing' a drive down the Par 5 4th hole. And made par. Just sayin'.

Whilst I was gallivanting across the course, B and the kids visited the Desert Park with Tracey, Donny and their two Charlie and Lily.

From all accounts it was 'reasonable', which might be code for 'ordinary' but the kids talked a bit about it so I don't reckon it was too bad.

Still, Joe and I weren't overly concerned. This course should be on the list of any avid travelling golfer. One of the more spectacular backdrops you could ask for.

Awaiting the birds of prey show...

I think this is Hedwig from the Harry Potter series.

This one here is to remind me of the small memories that are so often forgotten. This huge poster was in the changerooms at the course and has been there since I played as a junior. As soon as I saw it, memories of playing here came flooding back, and The Shark was one of my golfing idols. These are the memories you don't even realise you are forgetting!

Tracey and the kids (Lily wouldn't pose without her!) before they departed! It's so nice when we get to share a little piece of our adventure with people from back home! And their blue camper was WAY cool according to James.

Iconic. Cliched. Often Repeated. The shot however from the top of ANZAC Hill however is a must for any visit to Alice. A few new landmarks (like the NT Supreme Court) but really it was as I remembered. And the cloudless sky like most days in the Alice. Just brilliant.

B took the time to visit Teresa's hairdresser for a bit of 'sshhoosshing', 'twirling', 'cutting', 'shaping' and 'pampering'. Very snazzy...

House #2 - Burke St - Just about my favourite house growing up.

House #1 - Jarvis St

I've kept our day trips to the East and West Mac's as separate posts as they were days of monumental proportions and shouldn't really be included in here.

Alice... I've missed you. You are better and shinier than I remember and I can see why Mum and Dad thought it a great place to settle. However, you are still in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Time you started to think about moving a little closer to the coast...

But whatever you do, don't lose that charm. It rubs off on the people you give a home to, and they are your finest asset. And the dust. As much as we all hate it, we secretly love it just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment